[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Thu Jan 18 19:40:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

It turns out that currently-shipping versions of ICU cannot deal with negative DST offsets; they will refuse to accept the data (illegal argument error). It’s a relatively simple fix, but changing this requires updating ICU, and rolling out the new version to the OS platforms that use it. That is a process that will probably require the better part of a year. As some have observed, Apple provides TZ database updates via a mechanism separate from the usual software release cycle. Such updates of course need to work with the version of ICU installed on customer’s devices.

Also, this change requires multiple data updates to Unicode’s Common Locale Data Repository, to align the localized names for Europe/Dublin (for summer and winter) with the new approach.

Would it be possible to roll this change out and plan to reintroduce it in the future, along with the changes needed in ICU and CLDR? (As well as a plan to deploy the updated ICU/CLDR to the field). I would also be OK with just backing it out period, but if we’re going to keep this change we need time for ICU and CLDR to adjust.

Meanwhile, clients of ICU are going to have to back this change out manually.

Thanks,
Debbie