[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 19 17:07:35 UTC 2018

On 01/19/2018 04:00 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> As Paul now uses Git (I know, for experimental purposes), it would not
> be too difficult to set up some build checks with Travis. Anytime he
> pushes something, it can sanity checks.

Yes, that's always been the intent of the GitHub version. Its master
branch is supposed to be always suitable for external testing. To help
emphasize that, I'm no longer calling it "the experimental version" and
am now calling it "the development version".

I hope the kerfuffle about Irish time helps to spur people to use the
development version to expose problems earlier, rather than wait until
after a release. That will help avoid similar problems in the future.
Although the tzdb package has several internal tests that I run
regularly and run as part of the release-publication process, it's not
realistic to expect these tests to catch all potential problems with
downstream users.

> it would be good if you could "git tag" each release
> when you make them, instead of just having the "Release 2018b" text.

This is being done, and releases starting from 2012e all have tags.