[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Sat Jan 20 04:10:20 UTC 2018

On Jan 20, 10:45am, kre at munnari.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

| I don't disagree with anything that you say, but I'd go one step
| further, and simply deprecate tm_isdst - it no longer serves any
| necessary useful purpose at all (and anyone who believes it does
| is not understanding its purpose).   [Those who still need it for
| its original purpose should adopt tm_zone and tm_gmtoff instead.]

If we are going to standardize those two, I think that tm_zone
should become an array instead of a pointer, or at least the "char
*" pointer lifetime and ownership should be defined. Also if we
are changing tm_zone, then tm_gmtoff should be an int not a long.
Does anyone remember why it was chosen to be a long? 16 bit integers
on pdp 11? Does "struct tm" go that far back?

christos