[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:33:41 UTC 2018

On 01/25/2018 06:28 AM, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
> If CLDR project really wants to handle the distinction between "Irish
> Summer Time"
> and "Irish Standard Time", it's doable.
>
> However, CLDR technical committee does not want to take an effort to
> localize
> zone names never used in last 30 years for hundreds of locales.

I can understand that. However, it does make sense for the CLDR
committee to fix the problem for Irish time now, even if it doesn't fix
similar problems in the other hundreds of locales. Partly this is
because the issue has come up for Ireland when combining CLDR with tzdb.
But more importantly, if the issue is coming up for Ireland's past now,
then it's quite plausible that it will come up for some other country in
the not-too-distant future when they change their rules. It would be
better to have some practical experience with such situations as opposed
to armchair theorizing, and one way to do that would be to add support
for historical Irish time now, and to make sure that this support works
when combined with tzdb.