[tz] [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Thu Jan 25 21:40:22 UTC 2018

In order to bridge the gap between the offset information in TZDB and
the simple scheme generic/standard/daylight in CLDR, would it not be a
good enhancement to TZDB source format to add an extra column per rule
line to flag if the dst offset (equal if zero, negative or positive) has
to be considered as associated with standard time labelling? Then the
consumer would not have to reason about (dstOffset == 0) <=>
isStandardTimeFormat() as actually done in Java software. Such a column
could even be enhanced by an extra state for the ramadan situation in
some Arabic countries when the clock only temporarily switches back
(enabling a better name). The actual column containing an abbreviation
is not really clear about this name-offset-association IMHO and can
therefore not be evaluated by source code based tz-compilers.