[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 26 00:30:38 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 06:48 PM, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
> CLDR does not have time zone names for dates before 1990.

Thanks for the info. That simplifies things!

> In this example, locale en-US does not have short name for Irish Standard
> Time. "IST" is used as the short name only in locale en-IE (IE =
> Ireland).
> Again, when a zone name is missing, CLDR suggests code implementators to
> use the fallback format.

This is also helpful. It suggests that we can fix the short names at the
CLDR level by removing the text "<daylight>IST</daylight>" from the
en-IE locale. That way, implementers can fall back for Irish time in
Ireland the same way that they fall back for Irish time in the US (or
for US time in the US, for that matter).

This leaves the long names, but there is a simple workaround for that,
too. We can change the long names for standard and daylight saving time
in Ireland to be just "Irish Time". This string will work regardless of
whether UTC+00 or UTC+01 is considered to be standard time in Ireland,
so it will be portable to both the current and the proposed tzdb data.
Although it is not ideal for either the old or the new approaches, it is
a reasonable compromise that is compatible with both.

So: how about the attached patch to CLDR? I have not tested this: I'm
just suggesting it as an idea for moving forward. If this patch does not
work, I hope that a similar patch would work.