[tz] [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Irelandchange

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 10:22:58 UTC 2018

On 26/01/18 07:15, Robert Elz wrote:
> But if not, a better solution would be to get posix to simply (even more)
> deprecate all the old trash, so we don't have to provide it, and all of
> us can go back to doing work that actually provides a useful service
> rather than wasting lots of time looking for solutions to problems that
> no-one really cares about.

The reality today is that timezones have never been properly handled and
much of the 'old trash' was a cluge at the time that never addressed the
whole problem. People keep asking why we need to worry about historic
times that 'no-one really cares about' but while the accuracy of much
historic material may be questionable, the fact that events prior to
1970 (or 1990) happened at certain times relative to other events IS a
simple fact. If one can't relay on the calender to CORRECTLY compare
events then there needs to be a big red flag that says so. That an
historic event happened at xxx in Irish Standard Time for example means
it happened at the offset being used then and not some current setting,
so while many programmers probably have no interest in even last years
history, a LOT of people are now investigating and comparing material
world wide that NEEDS a reliable clock which quite simply is not
currently available in ANY operating system?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL