[tz] Flat-earthers and time zones

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Jan 26 16:33:00 UTC 2018

John Haxby <john.haxby at oracle.com> wrote:
 |> On 26 Jan 2018, at 07:35, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

 |>> Cite?
 |
 |A spherical earth pre-dates a Pope by quite a few centuries.  One of \
 |the better known Greeks (whose name escapes me) even estimated the \
 |diameter of the earth.  A flat earth is a relatively new fad.

Now i am anything but a christian, yet i would support the
philosophical reasoning.

 |> I doubt whether any Roman Catholic pope proclaimed the Earth flat \
 |> as a matter of doctrine. That being said, flat-Earthers are still \

That is my view too.  I also doubt that most of these most
intellectual of their times ever meant that "flat" literally.
At times they just did not know?
The question always has been how to civilize the human being and
how to make it reflect themselves.  There are many many highly
intellectual people out there which find things and know a lot,
can even clone life itself (and getting better), but at the same
time the same people want privileges and unfortunately not only
those, but also many many others, and growing.

So if all that fantastic knowledge leads to nothing else but the
end of biodiversity, and the desire to turn Mars into the
"paradise" that we currently destroy right here where we are at,
isn't the world flat?  You seem to fall off the end.

By the way, at that time, here in Germany, with people dying from
starvation in years with bad harvest, and thus any single square
meter field meaning survival, people with Down-Syndrome were
entitled to inherit, and "evil" humans had a legitimized force to
fear (the inquisition).  Uff.  Well!  Just imagine how hard life
was, no matter whether poor or rich the most "ridiculous"
illnesses could cause death, and you sit in an early mass on
easter, the sunset will start rising through the coloured glasses
in just five minutes from now, and the choir starts singing
"Miserere mei, Deus" of Gregorio Allegri.  Then it seems much
better, even sacred, to stay in the middle of the world, than to
fall off the end.  I can recommend [1] which is unfortunately no
longer available from Germany, the high C of the Westminster Abbey
choir is the most beautiful that can be imagined, [2] is also
somewhat legendary, but does not reach [1] by far.

Happy hacking.

  [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psf5Cqjpt7I
  [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDOENZediM8

--steffen