[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Yoshito Umaoka yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 26 19:32:49 UTC 2018

> > (BTW, you might disagree that we set such
> > assumption. I think TZ database does not prohibit a same abbreviation
> > used for standard and daylight at a time, although it is unlikely.)
>
> Not only does tzdb not prohibit it, that feature was long used in
Australian
> timestamps, as it matched more-traditional Australian practice. One can
still
> follow this more-traditional practice by using POSIX TZ settings like
> TZ='EST-10EST,M10.1.0,M4.1.0/3' which uses "EST" for both Eastern
> Standard Time
> and Eastern Summer Time. If CLDR assumes that names or abbreviations
must be
> unique, that's a problem that should get fixed somehow.

In this example, if "EST" cannot distinguish between standard time and
summer time, then we don't use the abbreviations. The goal of CLDR is to
provide
names that people in a locale can reasonably understand - and
standard/daylight
names requires that people can distinguish one from another.

In this case, "EST" can be "generic" name in CLDR. The concept of
"generic" name
is not in TZ db database.

Anyway, CLDR tend to exclude many short names, because these abbreviations
are not understood by people out of regions.

> > If TZ database project insists to make the change, CLDR project has to
> > decide whether we should swap standard/dalight name in CLDR, and if
> > we do, when is the right time
>
> I'm proposing a patch so that the CLDR project doesn't need to make such
an
> abrupt swap. CLDR can have a transition period as long as you like,
> during which
> CLDR will work with both current and proposed tzdb.
> [attachment "cldr.diff" deleted by Yoshito Umaoka/Westford/IBM]

I personally think we don't want to introduce artificial names introduced
here.
If "Irish Standard Time" is the official term, also recognized by people
in
Ireland, specifying time in summer there, CLDR should not change it just
for
this purpose.

-Yoshito