[tz] [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re: [english 100%] Re:OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Irelandchange

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Fri Jan 26 22:15:48 UTC 2018

@Paul Eggert When I elaborated my workaround for v2018b (which works
fine now) I have made at least the assumption that a rule set consisting
of rule lines having the same name will not contain a mixture of both
negative and positive dst offsets. Otherwise my approach will probably
be broken. Let's imagine that Ireland will one day start to consider the
winter time as standard and rename both winter and summer time
accordingly. Would the tzdb maintainers then "reuse" the "Eire"-rules
for the new positive dst offset? I hope not and ask if a new ruleset
with a different new name can be taken into consideration. Can I rely on
that?

By the way: I discovered that the current practice in Java is broken for
Ireland in the years 1968-71 where OpenJDK just prints "Greenwich Mean
Time" althoug it should be read as "Irish Standard Time". My adjusted
tz-compiler has finally coped with the right naming using the version
v2018b but would be broken again with new version v2018c (and Java
remains broken here for the years 1968-71 in Ireland). So the reverted
change in v2018c is not really an improvement (and for me even worse).
The new version v2018c is only good for OpenJDK when handling Ireland
now in year 2018.

Meno