[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Fri Jan 26 22:54:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-26 13:32, Robert Elz wrote:
> That is why I asked for an example of something real, where the
> timezone information is actually used for some real practical
> purpose (just displaying it because we have it does not count.)

Calendar/scheduling apps have to use zones to set and adjust times, and email it
in various ?cal formats.
I believe those apps also use the ICU/CLDR Windows<->tz zone list for
compatibility, and Outlook must also.
Thunderbird's Lightning calendar/scheduling extension requires a selection from
the tz zone list when selecting alternate times. I expect other unixy calendar
and scheduling apps do the same, as they don't have the commercial systems
budget for a gazetteer xref or fancy selection UI.
Times show as America/Edmonton for me, except when I select another for travel
or other purposes.