[tz] OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 27 18:13:15 UTC 2018

J William Piggott wrote:
> why not get the offset directly from TZ/tzfile the
> same way tzset does for tm_gmtoff

Let me try to be clear about the question since I evidently didn't understand
your previous email. When you write "get the offset directly from TZ/tzfile", I
assume you don't mean that users are expected to write complex code that behaves
like tzcode's localtime.c and that goes off and parses the TZ environment
variable and/or reads files in tzfile format and get the offset directly from
that string or data. Instead, I assume you are asking for an API that lets users
easily determine the UTC offset of a timestamp.

For tzcode, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc., that API is already there: it's the
tm_gmtoff member of struct tm. For POSIX there is no such API, so one must play
the diff(LOCALTIME,GMTIME) trick.

One could design a different API to do what tm_gmtoff does, an API that uses a
function rather than a structure member, and implement this function by doing
what tzset does and a little bit more. However, as far as I know, nobody has
done that for C in any widely-used distribution, and there's been no need to do
it because tm_gmtoff already handles the problems that the function would address.