[tz] [english 100%] Re: OpenJDK/CLDR/ICU/Joda issues with Ireland change

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Sun Jan 28 04:17:37 UTC 2018

Well, if an extra file contains an information per rule line how to
interprete SAVE=0 (in case of Ireland: grasping the daylight-entry of
CLDR which points to the label "Irish Standard Time", default: grasping
the standard-entry of CLDR) for correct localized labelling then it will
probably be fine to live without any restrictions so multiply-named
rules can be avoided.

What about a new file which actually just contains a copy of Eire rules
with additional META column containing key-value pairs in format
"season=W" (winter) or "season=S" (summer)? Here stable documented keys
and values are important, of course. The new file can be safely ignored
by zic but help other tz-compilers to easily determine localized labels
of timezones in unchanged CLDR-entries.

I just try to find a compromise with minimalistic impact on all sides.