[tz] EU Public Consultation on summertime arrangements

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 9 18:46:05 UTC 2018

John Wilcock wrote:
> I'm surprised a consultation by the EU hasn't provoked more comment here.

It *is* summer....

> I'm not entirely convinced your second point is clear enough for bureaucrats not
> familiar with all the underlying concepts to understand.

Yes, it can use some work. I rewrote that second point and am attaching a
revised proposed comment, where it appears as the paragraphs numbered (3) and
(4). This update also reflects Brian Inglis's remarks (thanks!), as part of the
paragraph numbered (2) in the attached.

> Surely tz could/would simply define new Western, Central and Eastern European
> Standard Time zones and assign the relevant locations to them

Yes, although this would be done indirectly, by updating the existing entries
Europe/Berlin, Europ/Paris etc., rather than by defining new Zones. There won't
be a problem fixing the UTC offsets for these entries. The only issues are (1)
what time zone abbreviations the new timestamps will have, and (2) whether the
new timestamps will be considered to be daylight saving time.