[tz] EU Public Consultation on summertime arrangements

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Jul 9 19:17:36 UTC 2018

Paul Eggert said:

The term in the Directive is "summer time", not "daylight saving time".
Please use it.

> 2. If the EU rules are changed, the EU should record in a public document its member states' related changes to civil time, so that interested parties can easily track European timekeeping changes. For best results, the document should also keep track of changes to civil time in membership candidates, potential candidates, Schengen area, and other countries not in the EU that decide to make a related change.

Add EEA countries at the start of the list, before membership countries.

Make it clear that we understand that this would be a purely informative
document with no authority behind it.

> 4. If the EU abolishes the twice-yearly clock changes, time zone names should be specified to help avoid confusion. For example, if France decides to stay on UTC +02 all year, the TZDB natural default will be to call France's new time zone "Eastern European Time (EET)", due to the long association between "EET" and UTC +02. The EU should suggest this terminology (or some other terminology, if it prefers) to help interested parties discuss and understand the new timekeeping clearly.

"TZDB natural default" is likely to confuse them. Phrase things without
using TZDB; for example:

"all year, many people would naturally call France's new time zone "Eastern
European Time (EET)" due to the long association ..."

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.