[tz] EU Public Consultation summertime arrangements

Thu Jul 12 15:45:13 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-12 05:16, Michael H Deckers via tz wrote:
> On 2018-07-11 23:58, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Central European Time is the English localization of various EU and North
>> African UTC+1 time zones and CET the abbreviation, all of which are referred to
>> as time zones in common usage, and by some computer systems and applications.
> A time zone is a region on the Earth's surface, as any dictionary tells us;
> but "Central European Time" is not a region but (an English name for) a
> measure of time used in one of these time zones.

Strictly speaking what I called time zones are labels, as are the tzdb paths; it
may also be used to refer to the areas in standard geographical longitudes;
legalislatively, they are whatever the politicians tell us.
Here, a time zone is a set of communities observing the same rules for
timekeeping historically, or since 1970; the communities need not be contiguous,
nor in the same country, in recent releases.

> Exact wording helps (not only) when you want to make a point with a
> legislative body.

Communication for common understanding by others with no technical background is
the goal. Defined exact wording would be desirable in legislation.