[tz] EU Public Consultation summertime arrangements

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 13 14:29:42 UTC 2018

On 07/13/2018 04:51 AM, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | Wouldn't that break the TZ policy of not inventing new abbreviations?
>
> I suspect Paul intended that the European Parliament (or the various
> European Parliaments - whichever is appropriate) do the abbreviation
> invention, not that TZ do it.

Yes, that was the idea.

> Personally I'd be happy if they stick to CET, and just change its meaning
> from +01 to +02 (assuming this proposed change evr actually happens.)

tzdb can just use "+02" and wait for the dust to settle in English (if
it ever does). Other applications may not have that luxury (sure, they
may be misguided, but still...). Either way, I expect more confusion if
the EU does not provide guidance about the new time zone names.

We may see a similar situation in the US. If California moves to
permanent +07 (there's a question on the ballot about this before the
voters in November), will the resulting time be called "PDT" or "MST" or
something else? Similarly for Florida and EDT/AST/whatever.