[tz] Getting current tzdb version in use

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sat Jul 21 05:11:28 UTC 2018

Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca> writes:
> Expecting distributors to change their packaging scripts, except when you make a
> change which breaks the process, won't happen: some distros package only the
> .tab files and the zic binaries, some include the changelog, Debian etc. still
> include leap-seconds.list, others include leapseconds, some include tzdata.zi,
> some include various selections of uppercase named and .html docs, none include
> version.

This seems unduly pessimistic to me.  If zic writes an additional file
into the target directory, that would probably automatically get included
by most packagers --- it'd look no different from a new zone file.  And
I doubt many packagers are left who haven't set things up to just
automatically include new zone files.  As an ex-packager (not of tzdb
though) I can tell you there are lots of better things to spend time on
than micro-managing your upstream's file manifest.  Especially for an
upstream such as tzdb, where changes in the file list are everyday
occurrences.

			regards, tom lane