[tz] Getting current tzdb version in use

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Mon Jul 23 14:55:25 UTC 2018

One thing to note is that there's some possibility that distributions
will be reluctant to deploy the (large) tzdata.zi file /just/ to have an
official place where the version is deployed. I would really like it if
a separate version.zi file were deployed alongside tzdata.zi that /just/
contains the version information.

One option is to have the version.zi be a little richer than an empty
file with a version string, it could be a key-value store like:

base_data_version: 2018c
tzcode_version: 2018c

Presumably a key for whether the files were generated from the rearguard
file would also be useful.