[tz] Getting current tzdb version in use

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 26 16:30:05 UTC 2018

On 07/26/2018 03:25 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> We need to be providing a fix of some sort

The need for a fix within TZif itself is not great, and the "fixes"
proposed so far have disadvantages of their own. As others have pointed
out, this problem is better addressed as metadata, outside the scope of
TZif itself.

> tzdist SHOULD provide the same sequence of data changes to everybody
> who is accessing the same publishing source, but as yet we do not have
> any published sources of tzdist

If the TZif spec becomes standard, it might make sense for IANA to set
up a tzdist server for it. Perhaps also a plain https server, as that's
good enough for distributing TZif files.