[tz] Getting current tzdb version in use

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:30:25 UTC 2018

We didn't add everything we wanted to in the RFC because it's a balance
between getting it all or gettign nothing.

Our hope is that each timezone definition will have some sort of version
- maybe the latest version for each of the rules.

That would allow update of a single tz.

I understand that redistributors may want to add their own data or
modify the data but that just means they need to add their own version.
And yes they do need to be an increasing sequence.

A simple sequence number might suffice for versioning.

And I agree - it's broken now is more of a reason to do something than a
reason to do nothing