[tz] Big tech warns of 'Japan's millennium bug' ahead of Akihito's abdication

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 27 23:53:37 UTC 2018

Tim Parenti wrote:

> Oh, the codepoint*is*  reserved: U+32FF. That's the easy part.

Unless the new emperor messes things up and chooses a single-character name
that's already in Unicode. (That'll teach these computer whippersnappers who's
boss!...)

I don't envy all the people having to update Japanese calendar or
text-processing software. And things will be even more hectic if the current or
new emperor dies unexpectedly. Luckily for tzdb, though, Japan does not change
its *clocks* when it gets a new emperor, so we will be off the hook on this one.