[tz] 2-hour DST during 2020 Tokyo Olympics?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 10:30:52 UTC 2018

On 28/07/18 23:54, Robert Elz wrote:
> Of course, there are other considerations, that's why there are discussions,
> rather than simply a decision.   But to say "just move the event time" as if it
> were the obvious solution, and nothing else is worthy of consideration is absurd.

On the whole I agree with what you say ... when it comes to one of
activities such as the Olympics. But the overseas viewing 'sales'
probably out trump the local advertising? The events WILL be scheduled
more for commercial gain than perhaps the 'comfort and safety' of the
competitors?

The more general discussion on whether DST has a place at all these days
may well be a case of "just move the event time" since in many places
the '9 to 5' day hasn't been observed for a long time? So changing the
start time of the few remaining activities to 'make best use of
daylight' seems a lot more sensible than moving everybody's clock twice
a year? Staggering starting times might help transport systems cope with
the numbers rather than having one 'peak time' as well.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL