[tz] Philippine Standard Time

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Tue Jun 19 14:09:05 UTC 2018

Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU> writes:
> My opinion is that almost all of them should come back.   Whatever their
> history, people had become used to them, and no-one was complaining
> really (we get far more complaints about the much more irrelevant zone
> names.)

FWIW (0.2 cents or so?), I agree.  Or at least, there should be an
*extremely* low standard of proof for external use of a removed
abbreviation.  Just because people started using what they found
in tzdb doesn't make it an invalid citation.  (Like it or not, tzdb
is the standard so far as most people are concerned; random changes
in standards are a bad thing.)

In my own downstream project (Postgres), we have so far not removed
any of the deleted TZ abbreviations from the list of what we accept
for input.  Those tzdb changes do affect our output of timestamps, but
only in non-default output formats --- the common formats use numeric
UTC offsets for zone info.  So it's easy to see why we've not seen any
pushback from the removal, yet that's not evidence that people aren't
using these abbreviations.

			regards, tom lane