[tz] [PROPOSED] Use "PST/PDT" for Philippine time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 22 23:29:54 UTC 2018

On 06/22/2018 04:18 PM, Michael H Deckers via tz wrote:
> I propose to record only what we really have learned since 2018e:
>    the abbreviation PST for Manila time was legally acknowledged
>    in 2013, and it was used later on by some newspapers.

Generally speaking, tzdb uses current abbreviations even for older
timestamps. That is, tzdb is designed primarily for today's uses, such
as a historian writing today about events long ago; it does not attempt
to record the long-ago abbreviations, such as the abbreviation Filipinos
back in (say) 1950 used to describe time back in 1950. In that sense, it
is like modern historians who systematically use the Gregorian calendar
even when writing about events that took place in Russia in 1914.

Partly this is to simplify maintenance. That is, it's not merely that
tzdb is designed for today's uses; it's also that it's easier to keep
track of today's abbreviations than to also keep track of historical
abbreviations used in the past. This point is covered in
<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html>, which gives the
following guideline for abbreviations:

--

Use current abbreviations for older timestamps to avoid confusion. For
example, in 1910 a common English abbreviation for time in central