[tz] [PROPOSED] Use "PST/PDT" for Philippine time

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 09:16:05 UTC 2018

On 24/06/18 17:24, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't see a good solution for these more-complicated
> cases, and am reluctant to change the data if it's likely this would
> introduce as much or more confusion than it would alleviate.

Being practical one would hope that any 'tz geolocate' RFC would have
provision to handle the history of changes in appropriate ruleset being
used. Where this is a lot more complicated is where the current rulesets
incorporate historic changes, but those are no longer visible to
'default' users. Pre-1970 changes in 'location' resulting in a different
rule set being used should override the 'current' ruleset for a location.

The whole system SHOULD return 'don't know' where data is simply missing
for whatever reason, and using current data blindly with historic
timestamps will always be wrong! That there is not an authoritative
source for that data currently is no reason to assume any other answer?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL