[tz] California may vote on permanent daylight time

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Wed Jun 27 20:00:09 UTC 2018

<<On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:41:27 -0700, merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) said:

> No.  No.  Just no.  Don't ruin "sun is overhead at noon".  Permanent
> non-DST, sure.  Permanent-DST is confused people thinking DST is cool.

For most people, the sun *isn't* overhead at noon, and hasn't been
since the introduction of standardized time zones.  (Where I am right
now, *with* DST, the sun is overhead at 12:11.  In Eastport, Maine, on
the eastern edge of the Eastern Time Zone, the sun is overhead at
11:53.  In Traverse City, Michigan, close to the western edge of
Eastern Time, the sun is overhead at 13:07.  In San Francisco, it's at
12:40 -- which would be 11:40 without DST, recall -- and in Portland
it's at 12:35.  In Anchorage, 12:13.)

DST, "permanent" or not, is people thinking that it's more difficult
to change "business hours" than it is to change what the clocks say.

"Permanent DST" is unimaginative people who can't fathom that there
could be another time zone immediately to their east.

-GAWollman