[tz] Permanent DST in Florida: step 2 of 4 completed

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 00:47:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 03/08/2018 11:51 AM, Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
>
>> the legislators didn't know they can avoid the "have to ask permission"
>> issue simply by moving the state over one timezone and adopting "standard
>> time all the time"
>>

> No, as they need to ask Steven G. Bradbury first.
>
> Who's Steven G. Bradbury, you ask? Changing timezones requires permission
> from the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, who typically follows the
> recommendation of the USDOT General Counsel, who is currently Steven G.
> Bradbury. This sort of thing was last done in 2007, for Knox, Daviess,
> Martin, Pike, and Dubois Counties in Indiana. See:
>
> https://www.transportation.gov/regulations/procedure-moving-
> area-one-time-zone-another

15 USC 260 A

http://timezonereport.com/?page_id=313

The bottom line here is that a state (or other political subdivision — see
the Wayne County, KY reference below) can only:

   - Opt out of DST
   - If not opted out of DST, you must advance an hour starting on the
   second Sunday of March and ending on the first Sunday in November.
   - Petition the Secretary of the Department of Transportation and request
   a change of time zone designation.

-----
I don't actually see permanent DST on that list.

Atlantic Time seems (to me) to go well with Florida's brand.

Regards
Marshall