[tz] Asia\Nicosia

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 24 00:34:16 UTC 2018

On 05/23/2018 04:43 PM, George Savva wrote:
> I don’t think of Nicosia and general Cyprus as being in Europe because i like it. It is the law.

That's fine, as tzdb is not intended to take or endorse any position on
legal issues. If tzdb had authoritative legal effect in Cyprus or Crimea
or Jerusalem or any of dozens of other areas of conflict, we would never
be able to get our work done. Luckily for us, tzdb is merely a low-level
tool to help programs set civil-time clocks. Names like "Europe/Nicosia"
and "Europe/Istanbul" are not supposed to be visible to any but
experienced users, and applications are expected to instead display
names that users are likely to recognize and understand. For more on
this subject, please see:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#naming

which points to the Unicode Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) here:

http://cldr.unicode.org/

The CLDR gives the strings "Λευκωσία" and "Κωνσταντινούπολη" as the
suggested way to display the abovementioned time zones for
Greek-language user interfaces. Errors in these strings can be reported
as described here:

https://www.unicode.org/contacts.html