[tz] Asia\Nicosia

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat May 26 17:35:10 UTC 2018

Brian Inglis wrote:
> Turkey and Istanbul are in both eastern Europe and western Asia i.e.
>
> 	$ ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/*/Istanbul
> 	/usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Istanbul
> 	/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Istanbul

A historical note for tzdb nerds. In 1993 when I originally wrote the entry for
Istanbul, I naively thought that the city was primarily in Asia. But after I
looked it up, I found that geographically the city was more European, e.g., its
European side was larger and its ancient heart is on the Europe side. To avoid
similar confusion by others, when I renamed my private draft's zone to
Europe/Istanbul I added a link to the Asia name. I figured that Istanbul would
present a unique problem in Zone naming as it is the only major city that
straddles continental boundaries. Little did I know, eh?