[tz] Time zone confusion in Morocco

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Nov 1 15:14:58 UTC 2018

On Nov 1, 2018, at 10:48, Dave DeLong <fastmail at davedelong.com> wrote:

> I’ve never seen this info available to application developers. It’s possible it’s buried somewhere in the legalese screens in the Settings app, but I don’t know for sure.

I’m not seeing it after a quick scan of the legalese, but in Settings->General->Date & Time I am seeing the following notice at the bottom of the screen:

*** snip snip***
Updated time zone definitions are available and will be installed the next time iPhone restarts.
*** snip snip ***

So, when I go set my TZ to Africa/Casablanca, it tells me the time is 15:00 (UTC +0). Now we go power cycle…

[… a couple minutes later …]

After reboot, the phone now reports the time as 1603 [UTC +1], and the message in Settings->General->Date & Time is gone. Therefore, I conclude that the phone has now loaded the current tzdb.  QED.

I must say, very elegant work from Apple.

Thank you Dave. Very educational!

Cheers!