[tz] Time zone confusion in Morocco

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 2 01:07:20 UTC 2018

On 11/1/18 2:26 PM, Hicham Boushaba wrote:
> - the market share for Oreo 8.1 in Morocco is still below 4%:
> http://gs.statcounter.com/android-version-market-share/mobile-tablet/morocco/#monthly-201807-201810
>
> - it's disabled by default, and the OEMs have to enable it and prepare
> the Data App. Time only will tell, but I don't think that many OEMs
> will use this.

All good points, though that URL told me that Oreo has 10% share in
Morocco (perhaps October figures recently became available?). For what
it's worth, my Android phone (an Essential Phone, so an OEM and not
Google directly) is running Android Pie security patch October 5 and
still has not been updated. And my work desktop, running Fedora 29
(released October 30), has not been updated either; Red Hat and Fedora
tzdata integration and testing is expected to take a minimum of five
business days <https://access.redhat.com/articles/1187353> so they are
still on their schedule though that schedule is not fast enough for
Morocco's hastily-announced change.

It appears that Apple, Debian and Ubuntu were the leaders for this
update, and that other distributions we've checked are not ready yet.

Clearly it would have been better had the Moroccan government had given
more notice. Kasraoui's article implies that the government decided to
make the change in March, but for political reasons did not announce its
decision until Friday. If the government had announced the decision when
it was made, a lot more phones and computers would have been updated in
time.