[tz] Epic fail for DST fallback in hospital health records

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 5 06:58:00 UTC 2018

On Nov 4, 2018, at 8:53 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> As I understand it, Epic's core suite was written in MUMPS (also known as M),

Could be:

	https://www.forbes.com/sites/zinamoukheiber/2013/03/04/behind-epic-systems-a-low-key-health-it-company-called-intersystems/#4d8462e3d88a

"Phillip Ragon, known as Terry, has quietly built Cambridge, Mass-based InterSystems into a $443 million (2012 revenues) company, selling the guts of electronic health records: databases that can easily ramp up and allow doctors to quickly retrieve patient information. Forbes estimates Ragon is worth $1.5 billion, thanks in part to booming sales of electronic health records. He joins two other health IT entrepreneurs on the Forbes billionaires list--Cerner’s Neal Patterson, and Epic Systems founder Judy Faulkner. Remarkably, he is the sole owner of InterSystems.

InterSystems’ trajectory has been closely tied to the fortunes of Epic, a leading electronic health records vendor, which generated $1.5 billion in revenues last year. Epic is InterSystems’ single biggest customer. “When we met Epic, all the people from Epic and InterSystems could fit around a conference table. We’ve grown up together,” says Grabscheid.

In several ways, the two companies followed similar paths. Both are rooted in an older programming language called MUMPS, developed at Mass General Hospital in the 1960s. Their founders coded the first products, and turned down outside investors, preferring to maintain control."