[tz] Fwd:DST in Isral 1980 and 1984

Ephraim Silverberg ephraim at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 6 06:04:44 UTC 2018

On the Ministry of Interior's "summer time 2018" page, there is a link to
the following chart:

http://www.moin.gov.il/Documents/%D7%A9%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%9F%20%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%A5/clock-50-years-7-2014.pdf

Which contains the same dates in Paul's link, but a different rule for the
start of DST from 2013 onwards.  Paul's document does not have the rule
from 2013 onwards and incorrectly states the 2012 DEST-start rule as "the
Friday before the last Friday (sic) of March"; the second documents states
for 2012 and for 2013 onwards the DST-start rule as simply "the last Friday
in March".

Both are wrong.  The current rule (since 2013) is "the Friday before the
last Sunday in March" -- reference:
ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/pub/tz/announcements/2013+law.pdf

Furthermore, Paul's document correctly states the November 2012 start rule
as "the first Sunday after October 1st" -- this rule was never implemented
since the law was changed in July 2013.  The currect document has it as
"the first Sunday before the 10th of the [Hebrew month] of Tishrei [i.e.
the Sunday before Yom Kippur]" -- reference:
ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/pub/tz/announcements/2012+draft.pdf

Hence, while the best that we currently have, Ministry of Interior
historical announcements should be taken with a grain of salt.  What
officially marks the dates of DST start/stop is the Knesset Registrar
("Reshumot").  I have put it on my bucket list for my retirement years to
check the accuracy of the Ministry of Interior dates also by viewing old
newspaper archives at Israel's National Library.