[tz] Fwd:DST in Isral 1980 and 1984

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 6 18:57:29 UTC 2018

On 11/5/18 10:04 PM, Ephraim Silverberg wrote:
> The current rule (since 2013) is "the Friday before the last Sunday in
> March" -- reference:
> ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/pub/tz/announcements/2013+law.pdf

In theory we could change the last spring-forward Rule line for Zion
from "Mar Fri>=23 2:00" to "Mar lastSun -46:00" to try to capture this
rule more precisely. However, as the two strings are equivalent, neither
captures the original rule precisely, and the "-46:00" is more likely to
trip up non-zic parsers, it's probably better to leave it alone.

> Ministry of Interior historical announcements should be taken with a
> grain of salt.  What officially marks the dates of DST start/stop is
> the Knesset Registrar ("Reshumot").  I have put it on my bucket list
> for my retirement years to check the accuracy of the Ministry of
> Interior dates also by viewing old newspaper archives at Israel's
> National Library.
That would be helpful, thanks. For the case of 1980, Israel Sagi has
already checked the archives of Yedioth Ahronot. Israel, could you
please send us a photo of the relevant article or articles? Thanks.