[tz] Epic fail for DST fallback in hospital health records

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 6 20:21:09 UTC 2018

eggert at cs.ucla.edu said:
> Gawande A. Why doctors hate their computers. The New Yorker. 2018-11-12.
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/12/why-doctors-hate-their-computers

Thanks for the heads up.  In case anybody doesn't recognize the name, the A is
Atul.  He's a surgeon, and a very good writer.  His first two books are
collections of his New Yorker articles.

My reading on this whole mess is that the medical community doesn't take
testing software seriously.  It may be as simple as senior executives with
budget problems aren't willing to pay for testing because they don't
understand that you have to do lots of it if you expect your systems to work
reliably.

For background, I highly recommend Gawande's Checklist Manifesto.  He led a
WHO project to get airplane style checklists used in hospital operating rooms.
 Not much about software, lots about checklists and the pilot/cockpit culture.

For info about medical software, I recommend Robert Wachter's Digital Doctor.
It's the study of a screwup at UCSF hospital that almost killed a kid.  Lots
of info about software and UIs and testing.
  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23131174-the-digital-doctor

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.