[tz] zdump bug?

Arthur David Olson arthurdavidolson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:41:49 UTC 2018

Re the proposed patch to try to avoid access calls on arguments that
contain just a single dot (changing the code to look for ".."):

There are no filenames with any dots in the zoneinfo tree produced from an
unmodified tz distribution. So whether or not access is called, there will
be one system call for a dot-containing argument; either access or open
will fail and no further calls will be made. Avoiding the access call
doesn't save a system call.

(Looking for ".." rather than "." will save a call on customized systems
that put dot-containing names in the zoneinfo tree.)

    @dashdashado