[tz] zdump bug?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 8 19:33:17 UTC 2018

On 11/8/18 8:41 AM, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> There are no filenames with any dots in the zoneinfo tree produced
> from an unmodified tz distribution. So whether or not access is
> called, there will be one system call for a dot-containing argument;
> either access or open will fail and no further calls will be made.

There are two system calls for TZ values like "./America/New_York" and
"America/././New_York". Although we could change the code to reject
these TZ values, historically they have been valid and they're supported
on many platforms. And alhough these TZ values are rarely used, they
were (wrongly) used in the thread
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-October/027126.html> that
prompted the change
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-October/027135.html>.

You could easily talk me into reverting the change, as it's more of a
"let's make strace output look nice even with weird TZ settings" change
than a change that actually fixes a bug or significantly improves
performance.