[tz] Epic fail for DST fallback in hospital health records

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 09:11:46 UTC 2018

On 08/11/2018 20:43, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/8/18 1:21 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> There were overnight trains then: the sleepers.
>
> There still are: GWR's Night Riviera, Serco's Caledonian Sleeper, and
> (if you're wealthy) Belmond's Royal Scotsman. I rode a sleeper from
> London to Edinburgh long ago and would like to do it again some time if
> Serco ever gets their act together:
>
> Murray P. New Caledonian Sleeper trains slip to May next year. Inverness
> Courier. 2018-10-01.
> https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/New-Caledonian-Sleeper-trains-slip-to-May-next-year-01102018.htm
>
> I just now tried to schedule a slot in the Caledonian Sleeper from
> London Euston to Edinburgh Waverley arriving Sunday, 2019-10-27, which
> could be an interesting date given the disputes over Brexit and EU DST.
> Unfortunately for my experiment, that train doesn't operate Sunday
> mornings - which is perhaps the simplest way for a sleeper train
> operator to address the issue.

Sleepers were never a problem since they never stopped in the overlap hour.

The systems I was upgrading in the early 90's could only display a days
worth of traffic, and the day ended at 2AM. Stations on the lines I was
working on had normally closed long before that and the systems were
switched off. The new day saw a new timetable and often a paper set of
updates which the morning staff had to make before services started. My
system handled a 24 hour rolling timetable so the night staff could make
any manual updates, although the whole system was managed centrally for
a line so only one update was needed, but the politics of who does what
STILL plagues the UK railways today!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL