[tz] Korean DST 1940s-1960s and other aspects of Korean Standard Time and other aspects of tz database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 17 20:58:16 UTC 2018

Phake Nick wrote:

> The effect should be same in almost all cases, but
> to be literally reflect the rule in tz database probably an update might be
> desirable.

Thanks, this doesn't appear to change any transition times, but we should change
the .zi files to reflect the South Korean DST rules better. Proposed patch
attached, and installed into the development version.

> 2. Regarding history of Korean time, there is a Korean wiki site
> https://namu.wiki/w/대한민국%20표준시 that say when Korea was using GMT+8:30 as
> standard time, the international aviation/marine/meteorological industry in
> the country refused to follow and continues to use GMT+9:00 for
> interoperability. Did the phenomenon actually occured back then and is
> there any further details about it?

It's quite possible. I couldn't find any further info about it.

> tz database
> should probably be more actively removing anything related to Shanks from
> the database as those information are not fact

We've been doing that as best we can. I don't know of any purposeful errors in
Shanks that appear in tzdata. If there are any, we should fix them.

> and thus subject to copyright claims
We don't have to worry about that any more, as the copyright suit was settled on
favorable terms.