[tz] query regarding issue will updating open JDK timezone info with tzdata2018g

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 27 00:59:07 UTC 2018

On 11/25/18 9:49 PM, Dhanusha, Pb (Nokia - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

> #/usr/bin/java -jar /root/tzupdater.jar -l file:/root/tzdata2018g.tar.gz
>
> Failed: java.lang.Exception: Failed while parsing file
> '/tmp/tz.tmp/asia' on line 1655 'Rule    Japan 1948    1951    -
> Sep      Sat>=8  25:00   0       S'

As announced in
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz-announce/2018-October/000052.html>
you should be able to use the rearguard-format tarball
<https://web.cs.ucla.edu/~eggert/tz/release/2018g/tzdata2018g-rearguard.tar.gz>
instead. This has been reported to work with the Java updater used by
many GNU/Linux distributions
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-October/027143.html>, and I
expect it to work with Java SE TZUpdater 2.2.0 as well, though I haven't
tested this.

Although the timestamp format was changed in 2007 this change was
evidently overlooked in TZUpdater. Sorry, I don't know when TZUpdater
itself will be fixed to support these timestamps; TZUpdater is a
separate project maintained by a different group.