[tz] Rename Ukrainian cities to their official transliterated names

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Oct 4 13:05:48 UTC 2018

On Oct 4, 2018, at 02:45, Paw Boel Nielsen via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> I propose we change all tz identifiers to randomly generated characters to ensure no UI designer considers showing them to end users.

All that would do is kick the problem up a level. At some point, there has to be some sort of *map* that defines which tz entry relates to what specific geographical region. ‘Randomized’ identifiers merely mean that that map would have to be maintained separately, but would still have all of the socio-political baggage about proper spelling, transliteration, etc, etc.

I think the current identifier arrangement is about the cleanest approach possible for what is an inherently messy task. TZ adopters do need to understand that those identifiers are essentially arbitrary keys into a database.

Cheers!

| Like the ski resort of girls looking for husbands and husbands       |
| looking for girls, the situation is not as symmetrical as it might   |
| seem.                                                                |
|                                        -- Alan McKay                 |