[tz] Rename Ukrainian cities to their official transliterated names

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Thu Oct 4 21:27:02 UTC 2018

> On 4 Oct 2018, at 18:42, Michael Douglass <mikeadouglass at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The argument we are supposedly trying to make is that NOBODY should be presenting these names to users - they should be using the tzid as a key to a localized lookup so UI wise there's no difference. I don't think we can use 'misuse' of those names as a reason not to change.

However, you cannot expect enterprise system providers to break current applications because of that 'misuse'.   If you want to make the change then you need to deal with the fact that it's going to take at least a decade before the existing applications are no longer supported.

During those 10 years or more you are going to have to keep dealing with those people who think that regions should be named differently.

The better approach, I suspect, is to educate.

jch