[tz] Rename Ukrainian cities to their official transliterated names

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 5 04:58:35 UTC 2018

On Oct 4, 2018, at 1:00 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Although we could add an auxiliary table that maps existing names to short, stable, and reasonably opaque identifiers, CLDR is already maintaining such a table and it'd be confusing if we attempted to duplicate that work; plus, such a table would not be useful to tzcode so it wouldn't be tested well by us. For now, we are probably better off improving the already-existing suggestion to use CLDR facilities for consumers worried about politics. Proposed patch attached.

That handles the "please change the spelling of the city name in the tzdb region ID" problem, but we should perhaps also emphasize that a UI should *not* treat the name that happens to be used in a tzdb region ID as *the* city to offer - it should offer other cities as well - to handle the "please pick a different city so people in {San Francisco, Beijing, ...} won't have to select {Los Angeles, Shanghai, ...}" problem.