[tz] [PROPOSED] Improve leapseconds support

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 7 20:19:09 UTC 2018

Brian Inglis wrote:
> NTP times can be easily parsed, converted, and formatted using the NTP epoch
> with date -d "1900-01-01 00:00:00+000 + $NTPtime seconds"

Yes, and Chris's script did something along those lines as well. However, that
usage of the 'date' command relies on a GNU extension, and the script also uses
the sha1sum command, another GNU extension. Although I develop on GNU/Linux and
so these usages are not a problem for me, I'd rather the script be kept portable
to any POSIX platform as much as possible.