[tz] Wrong spelling of a city in a timezone name

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Tue Oct 9 18:52:51 UTC 2018

Hello,

• Note that CLDR is already tracking this issue at
https://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/10185#comment:7 — the English
usage was not (at present) compelling enough to make a change to the
English side.

• Per the CLDR comparison charts,
https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/timezones.europe.html#6dd1046c581ae238
you can note the spellings:

> "Київ" for Ukranian, "Киев" for Russian.

• As noted above, "Europe/Kiev" is just an identifier and not the
correct thing to put in front of users.

• If you would like to explore CLDR translations for time zones, visit
https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/ and click on the
various time zone links in the following line:

Timezones: Timezone Display Patterns | North America | South America |
Africa | Europe | Russia | Western Asia | Central Asia | Eastern Asia
| Southern Asia | Southeast Asia | Australasia | Antarctica | Oceania
| Unknown Region | Overrides

Regards,
Steven