[tz] Ethiopia local time

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Oct 11 17:03:31 UTC 2018

On Thu 2018-10-11T12:12:21-0400 Tim Parenti hath writ:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 10:49, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> > To my mind this is more a localization preference than an independent time
> > zone.
>

> …which, again, is why I suggested specifying that tz starts numbering the
> hours from midnight.

"midnight" has no meaning at South Pole station, nor on the ISS, and
very little meaning at McMurdo other than how tired the supply crews
from Christchurch are likely to be.  At those places the hour 00
designates when the calendar day and date change.

The concept of midnight is itself a localization of us temperate zone
folks, and the word "midnight" has no place in tz other than in a
footnote explaining the origin of the simplifications codified in the
underlying tz model of time and date.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855