[tz] [tz-announce] 2018f release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 22 18:20:21 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 10:56 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> What's the exact algorithm for normalizing the date?
> Is there only one possible way of doing this?

Times past 24:00 are treated like times before 24:00, that is, HH:MM is
considered to be HH hours and MM minutes after the start of the calendar
day (or before the start if there is a leading '-').

As with all HH:MM timestamps, leap seconds are ignored in this
calculation. It would not be useful to count leap seconds as they are
typically ignored in civil-time rules. The question of leap seconds came
up recently in another thread
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-October/027045.html> so I am
attaching a proposed patch to try to clarify confusion in this area.

Are there other possible ways of doing normalization? If so, please let
me know, as we should nail down the spec to avoid any other confusion in
this area.