[tz] [PROPOSED] Be consistent about WWII abbreviations in Hawaii

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 23 20:38:00 UTC 2018

On 10/23/18 12:21 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
> A quick search for "HDT" on the Github repo points to zdump.8 and
> tz-how-to.html, as well.

Thanks for catching that. I saw other ways the doc doesn't match the
latest data and fixed them too, in the attached proposed patch.

While doing this I noticed to my surprise that tz-how-to.html already
documented HWT and HPT! No clairvoyance was involved; it turns out that
older versions of tzdb used those abbrevations. HWT/HPT was changed to
HST in 2011 in the changes proposed in
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2011-August/008703.html> with the
commentary being "Avoid unnecessary use of US rule in America/Honolulu".
Perhaps Arthur didn't notice that although the patch didn't affect UT
offsets it changed abbreviations? Anyway, there does seem to be have
been use of the phrase "Hawaiian War Time" for timekeeping in Hawaii
during World War II, so HWT/HPT does seem to be more historically
accurate. A quick Google Books search found these two occurrences:

The Hawaiian Journal of History, Volumes 26-27, page 221, "The new time
quickly became known as 'Hawaiian War Time.'"

Deignan DD. The Shadow of Sacrifice: The True Story of a Pearl Harbor
Survivor and his Nephew and Namesake (2016), p 236. "At about 4:20 PM,
Hawaiian War Time, on Friday, March 20, 1942, P.F.C. Joseph J. Deignan
was buried with full military honors ..."