[tz] Bad 32 bit data in 2018f

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 24 23:35:59 UTC 2018

Thanks for the heads-up. I confirmed that tzcode 2015f (and earlier)
when compiled for 32-bit time_t misreads the 32-bit binary (TZif) files
generated by tzdb 2018f. I'll try to come up with a fix soon, most
likely by having zic insert a dummy transition or two in the 32-bit
data. As a temporary workaround you can continue to use 2018e zic to
compile from .zi to TZif.

Recommended practice nowadays is for 32-bit client code to ignore 32-bit
binary data entirely, and to just use the 64-bit data, discarding any
timestamps outside the 32-bit range. This is why tests with 2018f didn't
catch the problem. However, we should support 32-bit clients that don't
follow the recommended practice.